Fullers Mill Cottage
Fullers Mill Cottage was built in about 1650 and was owned by the Cadogan Estate until it was sold in 1936. Bernard Tickner moved to Fullers Mill in 1958 and created the garden you see today from rough scrub and woodland. In 2004, he and his late wife Bess formed the The Fullers Mill Trust, a registered charity, which was established to manage the garden and to ensure its future. At the beginning of 2013 Fullers Mill Garden was gifted to Perennial (The Gardeners Royal Benevolent Society) but remains fully funded by its creator Bernard Tickner.
The Fulling Mill
The Fulling Mill stood on the south bank of the river between it and the Mill Pond. The earliest record of a Fulling Mill on this site is dated 1458 and since then there have been many mills built and destroyed. The process of fulling was to make cloth thicker. This was done by passing the cloth through a series of wooden mallets which were driven by a water wheel; causing the cloth to become felted. The cloth was then put out to dry on a flat tentering ground secured by tenter hooks, to prevent shrinkage. (Etching by Alfred Blundell from an orginal sketch he made of the old lock gates in about 1935).
The River Lark
River Lark Navigation Act 1699 – The lock at Fullers Mill was one of many on the River Lark between Bury St Edmunds and the River Ouse near Ely, which enabled barges to bring coal from the sea via Kings Lynn. This trade was at its peak up to the middle of the 19th century when competition from the railways began to take over, and in 1900 the Navigation company was wound up.
Sun 1st April – Sun 30 September 2018
Wednesdays & Fridays 2:00pm-5:00pm.
Private visits from groups are welcomed throughout the year by prior arrangement, with guided tours available from staff and plenty of parking for coaches.
Tea, coffee and delicious home-made cakes are available to purchase from the Bothy. Plants propagated from the garden are available for sale.
Assistance dogs only please.
Download the garden leaflet