Canterbury Cathedral Gardens
Throughout its history the 23.5 acre site of Canterbury Cathedral has had large green spaces. After an introduction into the history of the Cathedral gardens, Head Gardener Philip Oostenbrink will lead a tour through the Precincts and two of the private gardens. The public walled Memorial Garden with mixed borders and the Herb Garden can be found within the Precincts. The Herb Garden was created in 2004 in the Dormitory ruins and with the help of a 1597 copy of Gerard’s Herbal, authentic herbs have been planted.
The largest private garden is the two-acre garden of the Deanery which has been a garden for a thousand years. The modern planting is complimented by the backdrop of ancient flint walls. A large kitchen garden where vegetables, fruit and cut flowers are grown can be found along the original city wall. The main lawn is surrounded by borders filled with perennials, exotics, mature trees and shrubs.
The Archdeaconry garden includes a Japanese Zen pit and features a large Copper Beech. The original 12th Century walls with mixed borders form the heart of this garden. The sunken garden where kitchens used to be has a Mulberry tree underplanted with shade loving plants.
After the tour, we will enjoy a delicious buffet lunch in The Lodge.
*Due to parking restrictions around Canterbury, guests will need to use the park and ride. Full details will be sent out ahead of our event.BOOK TICKETS