A family home since the late 18th Century, overlooking the River Dee and the Welsh hills, this four-acre landscape has a deep-rooted history. In around 1830, a walled garden was built and flourished with five gardeners tending this garden alone. In 1945 it fell into disrepair with cows established in the walled garden and one gardener left to manage the rest.
We will be guided by Michael Trevor-Barnston and his wife Inger, who restored the gardens in 1985. Their first project was to resurrect the walled garden, which now includes a pond, arched walkways and fruit trees surrounding the walls. In the main garden, a pond was excavated and developed into a Japanese garden with an oriental bridge.
A sub-tropical garden was formed where the banana trees have reached over 20ft tall. A ha-ha was built and sandstone arches lead into a woodland area, concealing a tree house, moon gate, bamboo garden and ponds surrounded by a stumpery and Gunnera, behind which lies a small log amphitheatre.
The 2019 Special Events programme is proudly supported by