LOCATION: York Gate, Adel, Leeds
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Catering Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Café assistants and café volunteers
SALARY: Up to £18k depending on experience
York Gate has had a makeover! We are looking for exceptional team members who will be as excited and enthusiastic as we are about making York Gate a huge success. This makeover means that from April 2020, York Gate will be accessible throughout the year and will now include a new, updated café facility and a nursery where we will sell our own propagated plants, as well as giving everyone access to our amazing Art and Crafts garden.
Visitors and volunteers are both a vital part of what we do. As Assistant Catering Manager, you will provide an excellent, tasty and safe experience for our visitors. You will ensure that café volunteers are in the right place at the right time, making the best use of their experience and talents. This, in turn, will provide an excellent service to our visitors and give them an experience that is second to none. You will be knowledgeable not only about the catering rules and regulations but will know how to make the most of busy periods in the café, how to increase table turnover (and how to utilise table space) and how to make each visit memorable. You will be interested in providing great food and beverages and be passionate about getting it right first time.
To assist in the responsibility for the day to day operation of the café, with consistent professional service, to provide a welcoming environment to all customers.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Ensure that a professional level of customer service is delivered by café staff and volunteers at all times.
- Lead on food preparation, ensuring that appropriate food hygiene standards are adhered to at all times.
- Participate in staff training and undertake ongoing Food Hygiene training.
- To undertake financial functions e.g. cash/card transactions, cashing up/recording etc. associated with the café’s operation. To learn about and become an expert on our EPOS tills, particularly in relation to the café ordering system.
- Keeping the kitchen and service counter area clean and tidy, maintaining standards set by the Food Standards Agency. Keeping customer areas well stocked and attractively displayed, taking responsibility for clearing and cleaning of tables and keeping the café area clean and swept as necessary throughout opening hours.
- Ensuring food is served at the correct temperature and portion size, in accordance with the advertised menu, making sure that ingredient don’t deviate from those advertised and that allergy information remains accurate.
- To have good working knowledge of how to cater to those with specific dietary requirements and allergies.
- Provide high standards of customer care by assisting visitors with queries in a prompt, professional, courteous and friendly manner. Guide the visitors experience to the café, utilising volunteers to assist, making the most of their time and expertise.
- Assist in the organisation of stocks and supplies, ensuring that everything is stored to Food Agency Standards, regularly checking use by and sell by dates, ensuring the minimal of wastage at all times.
- Assisting with the washing up and cleaning duties as and when required, manually and by machine, using the correct cleaning chemicals and clear rubbish bags to bins at the end of service.
- All staff are expected to observe all hygiene, first aid and health and safety at work regulations and to follow risk assessments and COSHH procedures.
- To support the catering manager in all aspects of the café management, deputising in their absence.
- To undertake any other tasks as deemed necessary for the smooth running of York Gate as part of your job role.
- Good up to date knowledge of food hygiene (E)
- Food preparation, cooking and presentation skills – especially those relevant to a café/tea shop setting (E)
- Familiarity with the Food Standards Agency requirements e.g. using the standards of Safer Food Better Business for Caterers (E)
- Working knowledge of First Aid in the workplace (E)
- Varied paid experience in the food service industry, including preparation, serving and front of house (E)
- Customer Service experience (E)
- Managing staff and/or volunteers (D)
- Straightforward IT skills (email, MS Word/Excel) (E)
- Financial functions relevant to the role e.g. cash/card handling, cashing up, recording, basic budgeting etc. (D)
- Appreciation of visitor attractions/gardening (D)
- Level 2 food hygiene certificate (E)
- Level 3 food hygiene certificate (D)
- Other qualification relevant to the role (D)
- Willingness to undertake further training especially relating to food safety (E)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able and willing to work seasonal and weekend hours as set out
- Willingness on occasions to undertake uncongenial ‘domestic chores’ e.g. cleaning, litter removal etc.
- A pride and passion in your job role that is clear for others to see, being an advocate for York Gate Garden at all times
KEY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These terms and conditions are provided for information only and in no way represent a contract. In the event of an appointment, if there is an anomaly between the contract and these terms, the contract is deemed to be the correct version.
- Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week over five days on a rota basis including weekends and Bank Holidays
- Holidays: 25 days per annum plus Bank Holidays (with increases for long service)
- Pension: The Charity operates an auto-enrolment pension scheme and will match employee contributions up to 7%. Details of the scheme will be available following a formal offer of employment
- Other: Sick Pay, Death in Service Benefit (3 x salary). The Charity has a number of well-established, family-friendly policies, including ‘buying’ extra (unpaid) leave, time off for dependents, variations to normal working hours etc. Further details on request.
- General Considerations: All posts within the Charity are subject to a probationary period (6 months) and periodic review
- Smoking: The Charity operates a non-smoking policy on its premises and in company vehicles.