Reporting to: Catering Manager
Location: York Gate, Adel, Leeds LS16 8DW
Terms: £22,000 pa (linked to UK living wage)
York Gate is a vibrant, beautiful Art and Crafts garden, café, plant nursery and shop in Adel Leeds. Due to an expansion, which was completed in early 2020. We have the opportunity to expand our workforce to help us to provide an amazing service to our visitors and we currently have an opening for a Café Assistant to help us.
Visitors and volunteers are both a vital part of what we do. As Barista/Café Assistant, you will be passionate in assisting us, alongside our volunteers, to provide delicious well-presented food and drinks in our garden café.
We are looking for an additional member to join our friendly team, offering daytime hours and a healthy work life balance. With your passion to provide excellent coffees and drinks in our busy cafe, ensuring a welcoming environment to all customers and volunteers.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Work with all staff and volunteers.
- Using skills to produce range of coffees and speciality teas
- Assist with food preparation, when required ensuring appropriate food hygiene standards are maintained at all times.
- To observe all hygiene, first aid and health and safety at work regulations to the highest standard and to follow risk assessments and COSHH procedures, maintaining daily health and safety records
- Operate tills to agreed procedure and, follow cash handling procedures accurately as required to serve customers alongside volunteers.
- Provide high standards of customer care by assisting visitors with queries in a prompt, professional, courteous and friendly manner,
- Participate in staff training
- Follow cash handling procedures accurately as required
- All staff are expected to observe all health and safety at work regulations and to follow risk assessment and COSHH procedures.
(E) = Essential (D) = Desirable
- Level 2 food hygiene certificate (D)
- Other qualification relevant to the role ie barista experience (D)
- Willingness to undertake further training especially relating to food safety (E)
- Customer care experience
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able and willing to work seasonal and weekend hours as set out
- A pride and passion in your job role that is clear for others to see, always being an advocate for York Gate Garden
KEY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These terms and conditions are provided for information only and in no way represent a contract. In the event of an appointment, if there is an anomaly between the contract and these terms, the contract is deemed to be the correct version.
Hours of work: up to 37.5 hours per week Wednesday to Sunday and Bank Holidays during the Summer months – NO UNSOCIAL HOURS
Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays
Pension: The Charity operates an auto-enrolment pension scheme and will match employee contributions up to 7%. Details of the scheme will be available following a formal offer of employment
Other: Sick Pay, Death in Service Benefit (3 x salary). The Charity has a number of well-established, family-friendly policies, including ‘buying’ extra (unpaid) leave, time off for dependents, variations to normal working hours etc. Further details on request.
General Considerations: All posts within the Charity are subject to a probationary period (6 months) and periodic review
Smoking: The Charity operates a non-smoking/vaping policy on its premises and in company vehicles.
Download an application form, complete and return it using the details at the top of the form to be considered for this role.
Should you require the application form in an alternative format, please email Amy Routley.