LOCATION: York Gate, Adel, Leeds
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Assistant Catering Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: None
SALARY: Living wage
York Gate has had a makeover! We are looking for exceptional team members who will be as excited and enthusiastic as we are about making York Gate a huge success. This makeover means that from April 2020, York Gate will be accessible throughout the year and will now include a new, updated café facility and a nursery where we will sell our own propagated plants, as well as giving everyone access to our amazing Art and Crafts garden.
Visitors and volunteers are both a vital part of what we do. As a Café Assistant, you will provide excellent service at all times and a memorable visit for our customers. You will work closely with the Assistant Catering Manager and the Volunteers to provide a seamless service in our café area, giving our visitors an experience that is second to none. You will also work in the kitchen, preparing food and cleaning up – adhering to the rules set down by the Food Safety Standards. You will be knowledgeable not only about the catering rules and regulations but will know how to make the most of busy periods in the café and how to increase table turnover, utilising table space well. You will be interested in providing great food and beverages, have excellent face to face customer service skills and be passionate about the service you provide. Your approachable, friendly attitude and your professional, even under pressure, will set you apart from your peers.
To undertake the day to day operation of the café, with consistent professional service, to provide a welcoming environment to all customers.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide a professional, approachable and friendly service to both staff, volunteers and our visitors at all times.
- Adhere to the Food Standards Agency regulations at all times and be knowledgeable about them.
- Undergo ongoing training relevant to your job role.
- To undertake financial functions e.g. cash/card transactions, cashing up/recording etc. associated with the café’s operation. Be comfortable working with an electronic till and happy to learn how it best works for York Gate.
- Keeping the kitchen and service counter area clean and tidy, maintaining standards set by the Food Standards Agency. Keeping customer areas well stocked and attractively displayed, taking responsibility for clearing and cleaning of tables and keeping the café area clean and swept as necessary throughout opening hours to support the Assistant Catering Manager.
- Ensuring food is served at the correct temperature and portion size, in accordance with the advertised menu, making sure that ingredient don’t deviate from those advertised and that allergy information remains accurate.
- To have good working knowledge of how to cater to those with specific dietary requirements and allergies.
- Provide high standards of customer care at all times – being happy to work both in the kitchen and on the café floor, serving drinks and meals to our customers.
- Ensure that everything is stored to Food Agency Standards, regularly checking use by and sell by dates, ensuring the minimal of wastage at all times.
- Assisting with the washing up and cleaning duties as and when required, manually and by machine, using the correct cleaning chemicals and clear rubbish bags to bins at the end of service.
- All staff are expected to observe all hygiene, first aid and health and safety at work regulations and to follow risk assessments and COSHH procedures.
- To undertake any other tasks as deemed necessary for the smooth running of York Gate as part of your job role.
- Good up to date knowledge of food hygiene (E)
- Food preparation, cooking and presentation skills – especially those relevant to a café/tea shop setting (E)
- Familiarity with the Food Standards Agency requirements e.g. using the standards of Safer Food Better Business for Caterers (E)
- Working knowledge of First Aid requirements (E)
- Varied paid experience in the food service industry, including preparation, serving and front of house (E)
- Customer Service experience (E)
- Experience of working in a busy team, being on your feet for a large portion of the day (E)
- Straightforward IT skills (email, MS Word/Excel) (E)
- Financial functions relevant to the role e.g. cash/card handling, cashing up, recording, basic budgeting etc. (D)
- Appreciation of visitor attractions/gardening (D)
- Level 2 food hygiene certificate (E)
- Level 3 food hygiene certificate (D)
- Other qualification relevant to the role (D)
- Willingness to undertake further training especially relating to food safety (E)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able and willing to work seasonal and weekend hours as set out
- Willingness on occasions to undertake uncongenial ‘domestic chores’ e.g. cleaning, litter removal etc.
- A pride and passion in your job role that is clear for others to see, being an advocate for York Gate Garden at all times
KEY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These terms and conditions are provided for information only and in no way represent a contract. In the event of an appointment, if there is an anomaly between the contract and these terms, the contract is deemed to be the correct version.
- Hours of work: zero hours contract working up to 37.5 hour per week on a rota basis which will include weekends and bank holidays.
- Holidays: These are calculated out relevant to hours worked.
- General Considerations: All posts within the Charity are subject to a probationary period (6 months) and periodic review
- Smoking: The Charity operates a non-smoking policy on its premises and in company vehicles.