LOCATION: York Gate, Adel, Leeds
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Chief Executive – However, the post holder will be required to carry out their duties with minimal supervision.
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Catering and Café staff and volunteers
SALARY: Up to £25k depending on experience
York Gate has had a makeover! We are looking for exceptional team members who will be as excited and enthusiastic as we are about making York Gate a huge success. This makeover means that from April 2020, York Gate will be accessible throughout the year and will now include a new, updated café facility and a nursery where we will sell our own propagated plants, as well as giving everyone access to our amazing Art and Crafts garden.
Visitors and volunteers are both a vital part of what we do. As Catering Manager, you will provide an excellent, tasty and appealing experience for our visitors. You will ensure that the kitchen remains stocked and safe at all times. You will plan your own menus with your finger on the pulse of what the public want. You will take great pride in the quality and presentation of your food, getting the best value for money from suppliers and making sure that your ingredients and allergy information are always up to date. You will be one step ahead of quality control at all times, making sure that you adhere to and exceed the requirements put in place by the Food Standards Agency. You will be comfortable running a busy and friendly kitchen, inspiring and motivating your café team.
To be responsible for the menu in the café, to manage your café team of both employees and volunteers, to provide an excellent service to our visitors with innovative menus and fresh, tasty food.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Set and maintain high standards of food production and work with the café team to lead the smooth running of the kitchen.
- To take control of the kitchen confidently, guiding the team, liaising with the customer facing volunteers.
- Running events or specialist catering as required.
- Ensuring that exceptional standards of food taste and presentation are maintained throughout the kitchen.
- Undertake regular 121 meetings with your staff, organise appropriate training and maintain appraisals and personal develop plans. Know how to follow capability guidelines and how to manage staff fairly and effectively.
- Allocate jobs and specific tasks with high regard to kitchen hygiene to all café staff in line with the HACCP manual and daily audit sheet.
- Organising the kitchen cleaning rota, daily briefing sheet and close down sheet which must be kept up to date, completed properly, signed off and logged in the correct folder. Ensure follow on sheets are kept available to ensure smooth running.
- Have control over the ordering of food for specific menus in advance and for stock rotation. Ensure that menus are correct at all times containing information of daily orders, ingredients and allergen markers. Menu cards to be kept to ensure smooth ordering of stock in your absence.
- Organise the menus for group bookings, liaising with the Finance and Administration Co-Ordinator and the Visitor Experience and Volunteer Co-Ordinator to ensure all visitors needs are met.
- Maintain tight management of your budget – ensuring that healthy and tasty meals are able to be provided for visitors, with minimum waste.
- Chemical cleaning orders to be made efficiently and effectively, taking into consideration safety, storage and COSHH regulations. Any hired chemical equipment must be kept in good working order, clean and well maintained to manufacturers instructions. Any problems or faults to be dealt with immediately.
- Have a good working understanding of the Safer Food, Better Business file including safe method sheet and be able to act confidently on any issues. You will be expected to answer questions relating to food hygiene that may be asked by The Environmental Health Officer.
- Be able to undertake recruitment and induction for any roles within the café, making sure you have the right people in the right place at the right time. You are responsible for making sure that all of your staff comply with food handling and production, and the procedures set out in the 1995 Food Safety Act and the Safe Food, Better Business guidelines.
- Be able to display good working knowledge of all the Health & Safety requirements of running a kitchen.
- Have your finger on the pulse and keep up to date with current trends via website Food Blogs, newspapers, magazines and TV programmes. Make York Gate a dynamic kitchen with exciting food that showcases the Kitchen Garden as most importantly is the food the customer wants to eat.
- Liaise with the garden team around ingredients from the garden to be used in the seasonal menu.
- Remain approachable, professional and presentable at all times, adhering to Perennial’s policies and procedures.
- To be in charge of First Aid in the Café
- To undertake any other tasks as deemed necessary for the smooth running of York Gate as part of your job role.
- Good up to date knowledge of food hygiene (E)
- Food preparation, cooking and presentation skills – especially those relevant to a café/tea shop setting (E)
- Familiarity with the Food Standards Agency requirements e.g. using the standards of Safer Food Better Business for Caterers (E)
- Working knowledge of First Aid in the workplace (E)
- Varied paid experience in the food service industry, including preparation, serving and front of house (E)
- Running a busy kitchen and having staff management experience (E)
- Customer Service experience (E)
- Managing staff and/or volunteers (D)
- Straightforward IT skills (email, MS Word/Excel) (E)
- Financial functions relevant to the role e.g. cash/card handling, cashing up, recording, basic budgeting etc. (D)
- Appreciation of visitor attractions/gardening (D)
- Level 2 food hygiene certificate (E)
- Level 3 food hygiene certificate (D)
- Other qualification relevant to the role (D)
- Willingness to undertake further training especially relating to food safety (E)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able and willing to work seasonal and weekend hours as set out
- Willingness on occasions to undertake uncongenial ‘domestic chores’ e.g. cleaning, litter removal etc.
- A pride and passion in your job role that is clear for others to see, being an advocate for York Gate Garden at all times
KEY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These terms and conditions are provided for information only and in no way represent a contract. In the event of an appointment, if there is an anomaly between the contract and these terms, the contract is deemed to be the correct version.
- Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week over five days on a rota basis including weekends and Bank Holidays
- Holidays: 25 days per annum plus Bank Holidays (with increases for long service)
- Pension: The Charity operates an auto-enrolment pension scheme and will match employee contributions up to 7%. Details of the scheme will be available following a formal offer of employment
- Other: Sick Pay, Death in Service Benefit (3 x salary). The Charity has a number of well-established, family-friendly policies, including ‘buying’ extra (unpaid) leave, time off for dependents, variations to normal working hours etc. Further details on request.
- General Considerations: All posts within the Charity are subject to a probationary period (6 months) and periodic review
- Smoking: The Charity operates a non-smoking policy on its premises and in company vehicles.