Reporting to: Garden Manager
Location: York Gate, Back Church Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS16 8DW
Terms: Part time – 3 days per week
Salary: Up to £23,000 per annum pro rata
Job purpose: The role will encompass propagation, plant husbandry and help in the daily running of our productive nursery that supplies plants for sale and the garden.
Closing date: midnight on 17 July 2022
Interview date: 22 July 2022
We currently have a rare and exciting opportunity to join our Nursery Team. We are looking to recruit a part-time Nursery Assistant, 3 days per week. The role will encompass propagation, plant husbandry and help in the daily running of our productive nursery that supplies plants for sale and the garden. Prior nursery and propagation experience is essential.
Key Responsibilities and duties
- To undertake varied tasks to both, produce high quality plants and ensure an organized and efficient nursery.
- Propagation of herbaceous perennials by vegetative cuttings and seed
- Potting and growing on herbaceous perennials
- Maintaining strong healthy plants
- Organising layout and spacing of nursery plants on standing out areas
- Keeping nursery clean and tidy
- Supplying plants to sales area
- Organising layout of sales area
- To oversee trainees and volunteers
- To provide cover for other gardening staff due to holiday or absence.
- To adhere to all relevant policies such as those relating to Health and Safety at all times.
- To undertake other duties within the broad scope of the job as may be requires by the line manage
- To support the opening of the garden, including but not limited to:
Essential (E), Desirable (D)
Qualifications and knowledge
- Formal qualification in horticulture e.g. RHS level 2 or 3 (E)
- Good general knowledge of horticulture and related disciplines (E)
- Substantial practical employed experience in horticulture (E)
- Previous experience working in a plant nursery (E)
- Experience in propagation of herbaceous perennials (D)
- Previous experience of working with volunteers (D)
- Ability to prioritise and manage workload and evaluate and plan others work (E)
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead others such as trainees/volunteers (E)
- Excellent personal manner when dealing with visitors (E)
- Good written and oral communication skills (E)
- Organised and methodical working procedure (E)
- Team player (E)
- Willingness to undertake flexible work pattern including regular weekend duty (E)
- Willingness on occasions to undertake uncongenial ‘domestic chores’ such as litter removal (E)
Key terms and conditions
These terms and conditions are provided for information only and in no way represent a contract. In the event of an appointment if there is an anomaly between the contract and these terms, the contract is deemed to be the correct version.
Full information on terms and conditions are contained within a Staff Handbook, issues upon appointment. Enquiries on specific matters are welcomed – the following are the key issues.
Hours of work: 22.5 hours per week over 3 days (days are negotiable)
Holidays: 25 days per annum pro rata, plus bank holidays (with increases for long service)
Pension: Perennial operates an auto-enrolment pension scheme and will match employee contributions up to the statutory amount. Details of the scheme will be available following a formal offer of employment.
Other: Sick Pay, Death in Service Benefit (3x salary). Perennial has a number of well-established, family-friendly policies, including ‘buying’ extra (unpaid) leave, time off for dependents, variations to normal working hours. Further details available on request. Company car/car benefit.
General considerations: All Perennial jobs are subject to a probationary period (6 months) and periodic review.
Smoking: In the interests of health and safety, Perennial operates a non-smoking policy on it days per weeks premises and expects staff not to smoke in company vehicles.
Applications close at midnight on 17 July 2022. Interviews will be held on 22 July at York Gate.
Download an application form, complete and return it using the details at the top of the form, by midnight on 17 July 2022 to be considered for this role.