Privacy Notice – Supporters
What we do with your personal information- for people who support our charity by volunteering, raising funds or donating money or goods
Perennial Gardeners’ Royal Benevolent Society is the UK’s only charity dedicated to helping people who work in horticulture, when times get tough.
We recognise and understand that privacy is very important. We want all our supports, volunteers and donors to the service to be conﬁdent that we will handle your personal information with care and respect.
CONTROLLER’S CONTACT DETAILS
Perennial is the controller for the personal information we process.
Our registration numbers on the Data Protection Register run by the Information Commissioner’s Ofﬁce is Z8659551.
You can contact us by phone, email, and post:
- Telephone: 01372 373962
- Email: email@example.com
- Write to: Perennial, 115-117 Kingston Road, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7SU
HOW DO WE GET OUR INFORMATION?
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- You have registered for an event, bought goods, offered help or made a donation.
- You have opted to receive our newsletter.
We also receive personal information indirectly, in the following scenarios:
- Sometimes we use third parties to supplement the information that we hold, as we only want to send you information which we believe you will be interested in.
PROCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the services, products or information you have requested, or to fulﬁl individual agreements with volunteers.
- To communicate with you – by post, email, telephone or text – to provide you with information relating to your personal involvement with the charity, or to provide you with information relating to our work, charitable activities and/or fundraising activities, unless you have opted out of these types of communications.
- We may use your data for fundraising purposes, which may include proﬁling and wealth screening techniques so that we can tailor our communication to you. We may use additional information about you obtained via third parties, including geographic information, demographic information and measures of afﬂuence, to help us understand the background of the people who support us. This helps to keep fundraising costs down as we can make appropriate requests for gifts to supporters who may be able and willing to give more than they already do and/or leave us a gift in their will.
- On occasion, we may also use your personal information for internal administration purposes to analyse our operations or conduct service reviews.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
Perennial will only share your information with third parties if it is needed to progress your case, it is in your best interests, and we have explicit consent from you to do so.
We may engage with third parties to undertake data cleansing or wealth screening on our behalf. We will retain full responsibility for your personal data and any such companies will be acting as agents of Perennial and our trading company GRBS (Enterprises) Ltd. All data will be handled in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with best practice. We enter into contracts with all of these providers, which requires them to comply with data protection laws and to ensure that they have appropriate controls in place to protect the security of your information.
We use data processors who are third parties who provide services for us. We have contracts in place with our data processors. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do it. They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct.
We may need to pass the names of event attendees to event organisers, which will be explicitly for the purposes of the event and no contact information will be shared with the event organiser without the consent of the event attendee.
We may also share limited information with our service providers who help us to prepare and send you our communications or process your donations and other responses. However, we will not allow these organisations to use your data for their own purposes and will take care to ensure that they keep your data secure.
Perennial may need to disclose information if required to do so by law.
Your personal information will never be sold or passed to any third party for any other purpose.
STORING YOUR INFORMATION
If you are a supporter, volunteer or donor, your information is stored securely on our database which can be accessed only by staff of Perennial and GRBS (Enterprises) Ltd.
For people who choose to subscribe online to our regular e-newsletters, the data is stored securely with a third-party service and is accessible only to Perennial employees.
If you volunteer for us, we may ask you for additional information to the usual contact details. This is to ensure we take account of your personal circumstances or wishes when we offer you volunteering opportunities.
By providing us with your personal information you consent to the collection and use of any of this information in accordance with the above purposes and this privacy notice. We will always tell you when we are going to store information and will give you the opportunity to opt out at that time.
If you wish to withdraw your consent for Perennial to use your data for all or part of the activities listed above, you can do so at any time by using the contact details listed below, or by visiting the ‘Contact Us’ page of our website perennial.org.uk.
PRIVACY OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
The safety of children is very important to us. Children and young people under 18 should always ask a parent for permission before registering with Perennial in any capacity, be that to use the interactive services, to register for an event, or to shop. They should never leave personal information that could identify them away from the website, including descriptions of themselves, addresses or names of schools/colleges they attend.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We keep our privacy notice under regular review to make sure it is up to date and accurate. Last reviewed: July 2018
For further information about your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation, visit the Information Commissioners Office