Tools to help you Manage your Money
Now that you have decided to start managing your money more effectively, we have found or developed some free tools that may be helpful to you:
Start by watching this little video from the Money Advice Service (now called the Money and Pensions Service) for some great tips on how to begin.
You can then use our Budget Planner to record all of your household income and expenditure. This may take a few attempts as you are almost certain to forget some things – keep going back to it until you are satisfied that you have recorded everything. We have included instructions on the template:
- Budget Planner – to download and fill in by hand
- Budget Planner – to download and fill in electronically
- You can also use our free Budgeting Tool to help you – this lets you record all of your information electronically and only asks you relevant questions.
Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of where your money goes. It can be helpful to keep a Spending Diary to keep track of the payments you make.
- Spending Diary – to download and fill in by hand
- Spending Diary – to download and fill in electronically
Once you have got your income and expenditure recorded, you will be able to see how well you are managing your money. You can then use our Top Tips for Managing your Money to start to make your money go further.
Free Managing Money Course
If you want to really get to grips with money management, we’ve found this free course from the Open University, ‘Managing My Money’. After completing this course you will be able to:
- understand how to undertake financial planning, including drawing up a budget and a household balance sheet
- apply a systematic approach to making key financial decisions
- understand loans, mortgages and other debt products and their costs
- understand the main categories of personal investments, their characteristics and the returns they provide to investors
- understand pension products and how to undertake pension planning
- understand insurance products and how they are priced.
If you would like further help, our team of debt and money advisers can work with you to manage your money. Please call 0800 093 8543 or complete the contact form and we will get back to you. Our office hours are Monday and Wednesday 9.30am – 5pm and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm.