Privacy Notice for Beneficiaries and Service Users
What we do with your personal information – for people who are/have been or apply to be a beneficiary or service user with our charity.
Perennial Gardeners’ Royal Benevolent Society is the UK’s only charity dedicated to helping people who work in horticulture, when times get tough.
We recognise and understand that privacy is very important. We want all our beneficiaries, ex-beneficiaries and applicants to the service to be confident that we will handle your personal information with care and respect.
CONTROLLER’S CONTACT DETAILS
Perennial is the controller for the personal information we process.
Our registration number on the Data Protection Register run by the Information Commissioner’s Office is Z8659551.
You can contact us by phone, email and post:
- Telephone: 01372 373962
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Perennial, 115-117 Kingston Road, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 7SU
HOW DO WE GET OUR INFORMATION?
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- You have made an application to receive our debt advice or casework service
- You have made an application for financial help
- Our debt advisers or caseworkers are helping you and you supply them with the information required to progress your case.
We also receive personal information indirectly, in the following scenarios:
- Another person or organisation contacts us on your behalf and gives us some background information, when you have given them your explicit consent to do so. We will always contact you in this case and ask if you wish to apply to become a beneficiary or use our services.
- We have contacted another person or organisation, with your explicit consent, to verify your horticultural background and they give us your personal information in their response with your prior consent.
- We have contacted another person or organisation, with your explicit consent, in order to carry out advice or casework e.g. we have contacted your GP for medical evidence to help with a benefit claim and they give us your personal information in their response, with your prior consent.
PROCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
Once you have given us your explicit consent, we use your information for the following purposes:
- To assess your eligibility for financial help
- To assess your eligibility for our debt or casework service
- To provide debt or casework advice and assistance
- To verify your identity or horticultural background
- For internal administration purposes to analyse operations or conduct service reviews
We will not use your information for direct marketing or to ask for donations.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
Perennial will only share your information with third parties if it is needed to progress your case, if it is in your best interests and when we have explicit consent from you to do so.
We use data processors who are third parties who provide services for us, with whom we have contracts in place. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do it. They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct.
Your personal information will never be sold or passed to any third party for any other purpose.
STORING YOUR INFORMATION
Personal and other information (including any information provided about your family, personal finances or health) is stored securely on a database that can only be accessed by staff of Perennial and its database managers, with whom we hold data contracts.
If a third party contacts us on your behalf, with your consent, and after contacting you, you tell us that you do not wish to become a beneficiary or receive our services, we will keep very brief information about you for 12 months for our own business records.
When your case is closed, the database file will be closed and any paper documents that have not been scanned and destroyed, will be archived. When we close your case, your paper and electronic records are kept securely for 15 years and can be accessed only by relevant Perennial employees. After 15 years they will be destroyed or anonymised.
If you use our budgeting tool via the website and choose to register – your user name, email address and any financial information supplied will be stored in the administration area of the website. This can only be accessed by selected staff of Perennial and the website hosts (with whom we hold data contracts) and will only be accessed with your permission. The information will be retained on the website until you ask for us to delete it or after a year of inactivity – whichever is the sooner. If you use the budgeting tool without registering, your information will be deleted after 3 months.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We keep our privacy notice under regular review to ensure it is up to date and accurate.
Last reviewed March 2019.
For further information about your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation, visit the Information Commissioners Office website at https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/