Local support

Council support

You may be able to get help with essential costs from your local council. This is sometimes known as ‘The Household Support Fund’

The Household Support Fund is aimed at anyone who is vulnerable or cannot pay for essentials. You do not have to be getting benefits to get help from your local council.

If you do get benefits, they will not be affected if you also get a payment from a Household Support Fund scheme.

You can find out about the schemes in your area here

Be aware that councils decide how to run their schemes which means there may be differences in:

  • eligibility criteria
  • if or how you need to apply
  • who money is given to

For example, some councils share out money through local charities and community groups and some limit household applications to one per year.

Check with your local council to find out what support is available. You can find out who your local council is here.


There are a number of different local food banks across the UK which may be able to provide you with some support such as food vouchers. 

Perennial's support

Our team are here to offer you support and advice if you need help or information on accessing support for your energy costs.

Simply fill in our Services Contact Form or call our Helpline on 0800 093 8543 and one of the team will be in touch.

All advice is free and fully confidential. 

The helpline is open 9am – 4.30pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Open 10am – 4.30pm on Wednesday. Excludes bank holidays.