Heritage Open Days is England’s largest festival of history and culture, bringing together over 2,500 organisations, 5,000 events and 40,000 volunteers. Every year in September, places across the country throw open their doors to celebrate their heritage, community and history. It’s your chance to see hidden places and try out new experiences – and it’s all FREE.
The team at York Gate Garden are excited to be taking part in the festival for the very first time!
Friday 7th September – 12.30pm – 4.30pm
Saturday 8th September – 2.00pm – 5.00pm
Entry is Free for all
Important Parking Information
Please do not park on Back Church Lane. Parking is provided in the lay-by opposite the church on Church Lane. Please park with your nose facing the road (not horizontally) in the spaces.
There is a pleasant 5 minute walk through the church yard and straight on to come out opposite the garden gate. (Do not walk around by the road, as there is no footpath)
If you are parking elsewhere in Adel village, please park considerately.
We encourage local resident visitors to please leave your cars at home.
- Find out about York Gate Garden and why it’s so special to our community.
- Walk around the garden at your leisure, learning about our heritage story through our volunteers who will be posted around the garden, equipped with information and stories to bring heritage to life. Enjoy the late summer beauty of this magical one acre garden, and the meadowland behind.
- Our Tea Room is open for snacks, home-made cakes and Yorkshire tea – see our volunteer created permanent photographic exhibition on the tea room wall.
- Enjoy never before seen archive material, including photographs, film, drawings and plans from our official York Gate archive, created by our Heritage Lottery project volunteers.
- Have the chance to buy a limited edition Ashley Jackson print of the iconic Cow and Calf landscape at our charity fundraising auction.
- The Giftshop is stocked with local art work, gifts, postcards and our very popular ‘Heritage of York Gate’ book, by local author Val Crompton.
- Children’s quizzes and i-Spy sheets.
- Plant Nursery, selling a selection of plants that can be found around the garden.
- Professional garden team on hand to answer your garden queries.
- Find out about the important work of Perennial, our charity that supports people working in the horticulture industry.
If you are interested in hiring our Field Room for a class or workshop, or for small group events, please get in touch.
Garden Season Spring/Summer 2018
Open between 1 April – 30 September 2018
Monday 12.30pm – 4.30pm
Tuesday 12.30pm – 4.30pm
Wednesday 12.30pm – 4.30pm
Thursday 12.30pm – 4.30pm
Friday – closed
Saturday – closed
Sunday: 12.30pm – 4.30pm
Our popular Tea Room is open throughout the garden’s opening times, you can enjoy light lunches and afternoon teas, or a selection of freshly home baked cakes, including a daily gluten free choice.
Please park on Church Lane and walk through the church yard, then straight on to come out opposite the garden gate.
Visitor groups are welcome but please book first. Contact us at email@example.com