The Manor House Gardens
The Manor House was built in the mid-17th century by the Blancks family. In 1946 the sixth Lord and Lady Carrington moved into and restored the house and in 2021, the seventh Lord and Lady Carrington moved in. The garden seen today was principally created by the landscape architect Robert Adams in 1967 and from 2019, the plantsman and designer Sean Walter has advised on replanting and rejuvenation throughout the garden. Head Gardener Mark Thompson will lead the tour.
There is a walled garden, in the middle of which there is a herbaceous border planted with paeonies, delphiniums and Nepeta and features a gazebo. Leaving the walled garden through a beech hedge we come to the croquet lawn surrounded by mixed borders and beyond this is a garden designed in memory of Iona, Lady Carrington and housing her principal garden enemy – the snail (sculpted by Michael Cooper). The north of the garden is dominated by an old yew tree and four ornamental ponds and herbaceous borders. There is also a two-and-a-half-acre sculpture garden, with several contemporary statues.
We will also have access to the Lyde Garden named after the River Lyde. The Lyde, a tributary of the River Thame, rises here and the garden is planted with wet loving plants, ferns and specimen trees.
Guided tour with lunch at nearby eatery.BOOK TICKETS